The Washington Capitals made the journey as much as Minnesota to tackle one other of the NHL’s Central Division groups within the Wild. The Caps had been hoping to get a greater end result than they did in opposition to the Blues at residence on Friday.
Matt Boldy scored with lower than a minute gone to open the scoring. Boldy struck once more quickly after to double Minnesota’s lead. Alex Ovechkin from his workplace with a blast previous perpetually nemesis Marc-Andre Fleury reduce the lead in half. Ryan Reaves received the two-goal benefit again with a deflection.
Brandon Duhaime made it 4. Ovi potted one other. Boldy accomplished his hat trick. Dylan Strome added yet one more.
Wild beat Caps 5-3.
- Well, a minimum of it wasn’t the primary shot of the sport this time? It solely took the Wild three photographs to seize the lead within the first which I suppose is an enchancment primarily based on the final three video games. Overall, I assumed the Caps had been totally nameless within the first twenty minutes. So, not nice.
- Randoms stream of consciousness recap bullet. More groups want inexperienced of their uniforms. Or, a minimum of something apart from extra purple, white, and blue. The Kraken did it proper.
- Marcus Johansson tallied a degree for each time the Capitals have traded him. I child, I child. That was undoubtedly the correct transfer and it’s good to see Mojo having some enjoyable. The Wild are a enjoyable workforce to observe.
Hoping for slightly of this power at present.@rmnb
Let’s Go Caps! @Capitals #CapsWild #ALLCAPS pic.twitter.com/lrBU2yT8R6
— Charlie McManus (@CharlieMcManus9) March 19, 2023
- Outside of the fixed march to the field within the second from each groups it certain felt like extra of the identical at five-on-five. The Caps had been barely concerned and simply enjoying passenger.
- Alex Ovechkin grabbed two power-play tallies to offer him 39 targets on the season. He has now torched Marc-Andre Fleury 27 instances. That’s essentially the most targets Ovi has in opposition to any particular person netminder in his profession.
- Letting Ryan Reaves rating a aim ought to include a factors discount within the standings.
- Matt Irwin received right into a “fight” on the finish of the second interval. He was promptly thrown to the ice by Mason Shaw. Irwin might be an incredible man and Laviolette loves him nevertheless it’d be good to see somebody like Bobby Nardella, Lucas Johansen, or Vincent Iorio given his ice time down the stretch. That would require the Caps to just accept that they’re out of the playoff race although they usually don’t appear to need to do this.
I foresee an Oshie aim primarily based on warm-ups. Bro was doin some superior stick dealing with and made ever aim. #ALLCAPS pic.twitter.com/JsRedzuDU4
— Emily Longtin (@Emily_Longtin) March 19, 2023
- Another sport filled with particular person blunders main straight to targets or high-danger probabilities for the Wild. Irwin and Dylan Strome with the obvious errors for me.
- Evgeny Kuznetsov left the sport after being hit in open ice by Matt Dumba. TJ Oshie fought Dumba and received the one further penalty on the play. I assumed Dumba simply might have been referred to as for charging.
- Charlie Lindgren received the beginning as Darcy Kuemper is out injured. I assumed he was first rate. The workforce simply isn’t enjoying any type of protection proper now so it’s powerful to guage the goalies.
Joe B and Locker trying tremendous sharp up north #joebsuitofthenight pic.twitter.com/En55Px8ahR
— RMNB (@rmnb) March 19, 2023
The Caps had been on the highway for simply this one and can come again to DC to play the Columbus Blue Jackets on Tuesday. The Blooj had been just lately mathematically eradicated from playoff rivalry this season.
Headline picture courtesy of @Emily_Longtin/Twitter